Will Ryman is an American contemporary artist based in New York. He uses found objects, consumer products, and construction materials to make large scale sculptures and installations that deal with the dualities and contradictions of the human condition. Many of his works have been influenced by the absurdist philosophy, the culture of urban street life, consumerism, and capitalism. Ryman’s work has been shown at P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, Klemens Gasser & Tanja Grunert Inc., The Saatchi Gallery, Frist Center for the Visual Arts, The Phillips Collection, The Park Avenue Malls, and Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Will Ryman is currently represented by the Paul Kasmin Gallery in New York. (Ripped straight from the center of Wikipedia’s heart)
Will also happens to be a friend of mine. His new show, America, opens tomorrow at the Paul Kasmin Gallery at 515 West 27th Street. It’s up until March 30th. I asked Will to do One Word Celebrity Interview (which is really One Word Celebrity Answers) and he was game. So…buckle up. Ten words from Will Ryman–artist and new father.
1. First thing in the morning?
2. Favorite novel?
3. Favorite Tabloid Magazine?
4. You’re walking down the street, you see a dog on a leash waiting for its owner. You pass by again in a few hours, dog is still there. A few hours later, the dog is still there and there is no owner in sight. What do you do?
5. You’re on a crowded subway and there are 4 heavily pregnant women standing. You’re sitting and want to give your seat to one of them. Which one?
6. What are you most nervous about for your opening on Thursday?
7. What’s the one thing you are most glad about?
8. What do you wish never happened to you?
9. If you had to choose one piece of makeup to wear for an entire week, what would you choose?
10. What is the theme of your life?