#GivingTuesday™ began its life as a simple idea….
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals….Wouldn’t it be great to have a day for giving back?
A lot of people then got behind the idea…
New York’s 92nd Street Y has been the catalyst and incubator for #GivingTuesday, bringing the expertise of 139 years of community-management to the project, and providing #GivingTuesday a home.
The United Nations Foundation joined as partners, bringing their strategic and communications clout to the project. An amazing team of influencers then offered their ideas, contacts and wisdom to help shape and improve the concept. A powerful list of corporations and non-profits agreed to be founding partners, helping spread the word and committing to their own #GivingTuesday initiatives. And, since then, countless organizations, friends and leaders have all added their support and talents to make #GivingTuesday a reality. But what really matters is YOU. #GivingTuesday relies on people everywhere playing their part to make it a real success.
Team of Influencers
• Charles Best (CEO, DonorsChoose)
• Matthew Bishop (the Economist)
• Kathy Calvin (CEO, UN Foundation)
• Tory Carter (Founder, Chairman and CEO, The Atom Factory)
• Sharon Feder (COO, Mashable)
• Colleen Giles Timms (Co-creator, GivingTuesday)
• Hank Goldstein (Principal, The Oram Group Inc.)
• Adam Hirsch (SVP, Edelman)
• Patty Huber (Head of Groupon Grassroots)
• Libby Leffler (Strategic Partner Manager, Facebook)
• Rob Reich (Professor, Stanford)
• Selig D. Sacks (Partner, Foley & Lardner LLP)
• Thomas Tierney (Chairman, Bridgespan Group
• Henry Timms (Deputy Executive Director, 92nd Street Y)
• Andrew Watt (President and CEO, Association of Fundraising Professionals)
• Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
• Dorothy A. Johnson Center on Philanthropy
• Giving Institute
• Giving USA Foundation
• Lodestar Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Innovation
Foley & Lardner LLP is Legal Counsel to #GivingTuesday
#GivingTuesday™ is a campaign to create a national day of giving at the start of the annual holiday season. It celebrates and encourages charitable activities that support nonprofit organizations.
Leave a Reply